Jan 25, 2012

In the Wednesday SFG Spotlight- Dane Ault!

© Dane Ault


1. Tell us a little about yourself and your work. 
I'm a graphic designer by training and Illustrator by inclination from Portland, OR. I'm not sure how I'd describe my work, honestly. Cartoony vector-based illustration? I dunno. I make kid's books, greeting cards and nerdy art prints that I self-publish under my company Monkey Minion Press. :)

2. What drew you to illustration as a career choice?  
I've always loved to draw, and when I was in college for my degree in design, I learned that you could get paid to draw! What a novel concept! It took a few years of toiling in the mines until I got my work up to a level where I felt ok putting myself out there, but now, here I am! :D

3.  What creative ways do you use to come up with ideas and concepts? 
A lot of my better ideas are accidental, believe it or not. They just come to me out of the blue sometimes. LOL! Other times, I have to fight for the concept and I just draw and draw until i get it to come out. (I hope that's the kind of answer you're looking for!)

4. What do you do to keep your work fresh? Do you adapt what you do for certain markets or trends or does it just progress naturally as you go along? 
I like to work in a few different styles and media to keep myself from stagnating. I think being able to use these different styles and approaches helps make me better able to come at a project from different angles.  


© Dane Ault

5. Do you get to create much personal work and promotions? 
At this time, most of my work is personal! LOL I don't get to do as much promotion as I'd like because I'm always working on another project, but I suppose that's a good problem to have. :D

6. Is there any successes that stand out that has helped you progress as an illustrator? 
I'm not sure. I think putting together my first book might qualify? Before I put "Captain Dan Takes a Day Off" together, the whole idea of being an author/illustrator was a terrifying prospect. Now, that I've done it, I find that it's much easier than I thought it would be! LOL!

7. What is your favourite part about being in illustration? The process? Ideas/concepts? The final artwork? 
Whether it's illustration or design, I think that coming up with ideas and concepts is my favorite part. I love working through a project, and as much as I try not to be a fan of my own work, I do love finishing projects, but coming up with ideas is my favorite.

8. Describe your dream project or client. 
Dream project? I dunno maybe a Star Wars kids book? LOL! Seriously, I love the direction my career has taken over the past year or so and making kid's books and geeky greeting cards and projects with my wife is a dream come true. (Tho, if anyone at Lucasfilm needs a kid's book done, give me a call- Seriously! LOL!)


© Dane Ault

1 comment:

Holly DeWolf said...

Awesome Dane! Great interview & work! Cheers!