Dec 10, 2008

Saints


We live right next door to a shop that sells religious statues wholesale and retail. It's a bizarre little shop filled from floor to ceiling with Jesus and the blessed virgin in every shape, color and size. I set up my stool on the street and drew this giant statue in the window. Of course, I always become involved with people. The owner came out and wanted to know if I could make a sign for him. Then he wanted to know if I could make business cards for his carting business. He gave me his thoughts on the card. He wanted a drawing of his van and a big cart that you see on the street in front of construction sites. He also wanted a hand giving the thumbs up sign. Wow that's a lot of crap to put on a dumb little business card. I said I'd think about it.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

This reminds me of Catholic grade school. If we did well on a test we got a brightly coloured Jesus or Mary sticker at the top of the page, instead of a star.

I wondered at the time if you got a Jesus sticker, did it mean you got a higher mark?

Then I worried that I had offended Mary by thinking that way.

I love this drawing, the colour captures the spirit of those stickers I remember so well.

Maybe draw the thumb really small on the business card ;o)