Apr 27, 2007

All Along The Watertower


I almost always carry some sort of drawing book. Sometimes at my job I have to work in edit studios. They are located all over manhattan. Every once in a while you run into one that has an interesting view out of their window. The thing about editors (people who edit television commercials and videos) is that they usually work in darkened rooms. I was at a place called Double Wide edit. It was on east 20th street. It took me a whole day to ask if I could open a window to this guys cave. Low and behold there was a decent view behind the curtain. The guy probably hadn't seen sunlight in ten years. I sat there and sketched while ignoring the work I should have been doing. He would ask me what I thought of edits he had just done and I would say, "it looks great," even though I wasn't looking at anything he did. I was busy drawing. There was only one watertower in this view. I added the others to make it more interesting. I felt it needed a little jazzing up. I was going to write something on it but I liked how it turned out. I just couldn't bring myself to put words on it.

2 comments:

HABBENINK said...

I really like this drawing, just wonderful. I also love the story that goes along with, having had similar experiences in the production cave.

Allan said...

Hey Tommy this is a really cool drawing. I love the stuff you do on the streets. I like the idea of the water towers quietly mulitplying and nobody really noticing at first. Maybe one day they'll reveal themselves as visitors from another planet and take over... I hope they're friendly!