Mar 30, 2007

Push Yourself



There are so many days I have to literally force myself to draw. Day in and day out it is exhausting. Coming up with new ideas at work and new ideas to draw in my books is very taxing. These two drawings are good examples of forcing myself to do things I really didn't want to. When I started the drawing of the woman, I hated it. Her face looked ugly. I just couldn't get it right. That is why I drew the hair so elaborately, it was in order to hide my lousy sketch as best I could. In the end it was the hair idea that saved it. If I didn't screw up her face right away, then the drawing would have been a completely different idea. I should emphasize that I have no preconceived notion of what my drawings will look like. I don't think, I just start sketching and see what develops as I go. The drawing of the booze bottle happened because I was at my in-law's house with nothing to draw. So I searched and found something weird to doodle. So when you see all the drawings on my blog, don't think it comes easy. It's hard and a pain in the ass but it is also very rewarding for the soul.

4 comments:

Chrissie A said...

These are just wonderful, and they, plus your comment, are a tribute to your creativity. Very inspiring!

jim bradshaw said...

Tommy, your honesty is as cool as your art.

Rico said...

Hey, that woman's hair is great.... a bit Robert Crumbesque... but maybe I'm just tired...LOL

Janice Ykema said...

aint that the truth.... great save.. and interesting piece resulted in your persistence!