Jul 31, 2006

SFG Summer "Challenge" Series No. 1

Greetings SFG Members!

To spice up these long, hot, monotonous summer days, I've decided to initiate a series of week-long summer challenges, in an effort to stimulate your creative minds, push you in new and daring directions and hopefully offer up alot of fun for you in the process! Think Illustration Friday! I'd love to see full member participation as a great way to spark the creative fires and, like I said, challenge yourselves. During the summer months I'm going to pick completely random subject matter, and challenge you to illustrate it in your own unique style, and then post it to SFG.

That said, let's embark on the first week's challenge....

SFG Summer "Challenge" No. 1:

Design and illustrate, in your own style, a "pulp magazine" cover featuring one of the greatest pulp fiction characters of the past century, The Shadow.

Here are some examples:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Enjoy!

-Jeff

6 comments:

Elwood H. Smith said...

Wow, Jeff, those are beautiful paintings. As I stand here in the dust, I can't imagine doing art for/of The Shadow. Which, by the way, I listened to on the radio as a kid.

-E

Jeff Andrews said...

They are great aren't they? Just for the record, they're not my work, they're the actual artwork from the pulp magazines of the day.

And El, I'd love to see one of your characters dressed in the Shadow's cape and cowl swooping down on some baddies. The whole point of the exercise is to reinterpret it from your own perspective, not recreate one of these covers.

Also, I still listen to The Shadow radio programs all the time. Let me know if you'd be interested in getting a few Old Time Radio links where you can download them for free.

Blake Himsl Hunter said...

It's such a great character! I can't wait to see what other people's take on him is!

RobSchwager said...

man... i WISH i had time to do this.....

Jeff Andrews said...

Oh come on Rob, who needs to sleep???

Anna Woltz said...

Ooooh! The Shadow is my ALL TIME FAVORITE! My mom and I used to listen to the records in the dark together when I was little...I'm gonna try to participate, even if I can't make it in one week!