Apr 23, 2006

jelly beans

I did this spread for my former college Health magazine, USC. The feature was on a new facility that is going to be use primarily for stem cell research. I had a few different ideas on doing sort of a portrait of the building's new director, but in the end, the art director went for something showing more the energy and feeling of different scientists collaborating, etc. I researched different types of stem cells and came up with....jelly beans. Actually, I kept on drawing red blood cells which, apparently, are very different from stem cells.

My Dad's in here somewhere too


6 comments:

Unknown said...

what a coool surreal illo!! Great piece!

Chandan Crasta said...

hi,

love the illustration and in particular the colouring, understated and lovely. your lines are free flowing... i like

~ CC

Dan Santat said...

great stuff josh!

Jared Chapman said...

Love it! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Love those beans - great stuff Josh.

Urban Barbarian said...

Great job as usual, Josh. Always a pleasure to see your work. Really appreciate seeing the B/W version before the color hits it. Then - BANG - you do so much with such little color. Truly impressive.