Mar 25, 2006

Happy Trees and the 'Cult of Bob Ross'

I remember when cartoons ended on Saturday I'd start turning the dial looking for something else to watch and would come across this guy with a huge afro painting landscapes and talking so softly it was like drinking a cup of warm milk before falling fast asleep. It was master oil painter Bob Ross. He'd use a huge house brush to paint with and say the word 'Happy' more times in 30 minutes then I have my entire life. His art didn't really make me want to paint it but for some reason I would watch his entire program every time. I never purposely planned on watching it, I'd always stumble upon accidently but it drew me. Bob even had a side kick on his show several times, his pet squirrel Peapod. Perched on his shoulder Bob would paint away talking to Peapod as if he could understand him. In those days PBS shows were the closest thing to reality television and it fascinated me to be honest.

Happy trees, happy clouds, and happy accidents are part of the wonderful 'Cult of Bob Ross'. He's become a pop culture icon of sorts now and has been forever immortalized on the web for future generations to enjoy. This is my contribution to his artistic influence.

www.HappyAfro.com

6 comments:

Ben Lane said...

I can still hear his voice...lulling me into unconsciousness. So soothing, so relaxizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Jeff Andrews said...

:) This oughta take you back!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ETe8V6ygT88

Urban Barbarian said...

LOL! Love the pink outline!

Unknown said...

duuuude.. I would kill to have that as a shirt!

Vonster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura Moncur said...

God, I LOVE Bob Ross. I was so heartbroken when he died. He always had a positive message in EVERY episode. I would pay serious money for a complete DVD set of his shows.