Jan 27, 2006

It's getting kinda crowded here



But that's a good thing!

I did this for Illustration Friday a while back, when the theme was Crowded. I always liked the way I worked the colors in this one. Trying something different.

For a little background on how I work usually, I draw in lead pencil (Black Warrior seems to do the best for me) on paper, then I scan it, go into Photoshop and then delete the whites surrounding the image. For a 'how-to' on this procedure, just check out this post. I describe it in more detail there. I then choose my nifty pastel brush in Photoshop and start to work on the colors (I work on a 'color layer' right underneath the 'line layer'). I use the eyedropper tool to help blend the colors in a more natural way, so it don't look too compootery. Keep manipulating the brush to get the colors just right -- the more you work on it, the better you get at it.

4 comments:

Jared Chapman said...

I always love you stuff and this piece is no exception.

Jeope said...

I remember this one. So long as you're dipping into the archives, you oughta post that black-and-white film-noir-ish one. Prolly it was even for I-F's "black and white" theme.

Ward Jenkins said...

Yes, it was. I might have to do that. Thanks, Jeope!

Unknown said...

AWESOME illustration!! Great style!